DCUfm News Roundup Tuesday 07/12/2016
5pm-Mother On trial for Manslaughter-Cait Caden
A woman who is on trial for the manslaughter of her 11-year-old daughter has told the Central Criminal Court she would never have deliberately hurt her because she loved her more than life itself.
Bernadette Scully wept in the witness box as she described the circumstances of her daughter’s death on 15 September 2015.
The 58-year-old, from Emvale, Bachelor’s Walk, Tullamore, has denied the manslaughter of Emily Barut by an act of gross negligence.
12pm – Brexit Article 50 vote – Ellen Butler
The British Parliament will vote today on the government’s proposal to trigger Article 50 before the end of March.
The vote comes after the British government agreed last night to publish a plan for leaving the EU before Article 50 is triggered.
Prime Minister Theresa May agreed to publish the plan to avoid a possible embarrassing vote defeat in the House of Commons.
It is unclear how much detail the government will provide about its Brexit strategy in the published ‘plan’.
The vote comes as the Supreme Court in London enters its third day of evidence on the ongoing appeal over whether the prime minister has the right to trigger Article 50 without consulting parliament.
2pm – luas collision – Alicia Donnelly
There has been a collision between a Luas and a car in Tallaght.
A woman, who was a passenger on the Luas tram was taken to hospital for treatment, but her injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
The Luas operators, Transdev, said services between Belgard and Tallaght on the outskirts of the capital were closed with trams only running from The Point/Connolly stops to Belgard/Saggart stops.
It said alternative bus services are running to all stops between Belgard and Tallaght.
Emergency services are at the scene and Gardaí in Tallaght are investigating.
2pm – NI prosecutors consider Bloody Sunday charges – Ellen Butler
The PSNI has confirmed that the team investigating events on Bloody Sunday in Derry 44 years ago has forwarded a report to the Public Prosecution Service for its consideration.
Fourteen civilians died as the result of wounds received when British soldiers opened fire on civil rights demonstrators in the city’s Bogside area.
The murder investigation was launched in 2012 following on from the UK government-commissioned Saville inquiry, which found none of the victims was posing a threat to soldiers when they were shot.
Following the publication of the Saville report in 2010, then prime minister David Cameron apologised for the British Army’s actions, branding them “unjustified and unjustifiable”.
Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison, from the PSNI’s Legacy Investigation Branch, said: “We can confirm a report has now been submitted to the PPS for consideration.
12pm- KICKER – Ellen
A Canadian police officer has apologised after threatening drunk drivers with Nickelback music after the message went viral and a spokesperson for the band reportedly requested it be taken down.
The humorous attempt to bring awareness to the dangers of drinking and driving last week instead snowballed into one big Nickelback joke.
“Well, as we have seen, our little post became an international story,” the apology reads. “And somewhere in the noise, the message of Don’t Drink and Drive was overshadowed by negativity towards the band I said I would play if you did.”
The initial Facebook post was picked up by news outlets around the world and received mention on “Saturday Night Live.”
Apparently, Nickelback didn’t find any of this very funny. A representative for the band contacted the police department to demand that the threat be taken down